Digital vs. Traditional Marketing for the Healthcare Industry
Digital marketing is a form of marketing that incorporates many different marketing practices such as pay-per-click (PPC), search engine optimization (SEO), and banner advertising. When it comes to health care marketing, digital marketing has many benefits that far outweigh the traditional marketing methods such as television, newspaper ad, and radio.
Say goodbye to traditional marketing and say hello to healthcare digital marketing. According to Pew Research Center, 72% of Internet users state that they have looked online for health information within the past year, and 77% of online physician seekers say that they began their search session with Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
Patients are no longer turning to the Yellow Pages for the best physician for their needs. So whether you’re ready or not, the digital world is moving full steam ahead and it is time for you to take advantage of this trend.
What are the benefits of digital vs. traditional marketing?
Many physicians are making the move from offline to online marketing because the buyer cycle simply does not work the way that it once did. Below are some of the benefits of digital online marketing:
- Reduced Cost: Typically, online marketing is less expensive than traditional marketing. For example, Google+ is a free online listing that can be just as effective as a Yellow Pages ad. Once your Google+ page is created it will remain there for good so all patients and prospective patients can view it anytime.
- Trackable Results: When you have an ad in the newspaper, it can be challenging to see if the ad is performing well and ultimately whether it is impacting your business. Digital marketing allows various factors to be tracked including traffic growth, leads, and conversions, which tells you in a much shorter period if it is positively impacting your business.
- Demographic Targeting: Digital marketing allows you to target not only the geographic locations but also the demographics you want to reach. You can target prospective patients based on certain symptoms or procedures that are most important to you.
- Long-Term Exposure: Organic traffic is the traffic that comes to your site as a result of unpaid search. Organic search marketing has many benefits that allows users to find your website based on specific keywords, such as your specialty and procedures that you offer. This allows you to achieve a long-term return on your investment.
- Build Relationships: The Internet allows you to build relationships with your patients. Patients like to feel like they have a connection with their physician, which makes them feel that more comfortable. A great way of doing that it to invite your patients to submit a review on your website and make them feel that their voice matters.
- Social Media: The use of social media platforms is the one of the most involved activities of any Internet user. Google+, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms are some of the fastest-growing sites today. If you’re looking to engage existing patients and acquire new ones, having social media accounts is a great way to accomplish this. Communicating via social media in today’s world is a necessity for your practice. It will help your practice build a sense of community and allow patients to feel like they are engaging with you.
- Keeps their attention: Many times when people read the newspaper or a magazine, they tend to just scan over the advertisements but they are not engaged. The ads are just there and not prompting them to take action. Online marketing allows them do so right away. A call to action is a great way to offer patients your services and bring them to your practice.
Ready to make the move to digital marketing?
Now that you see how digital marketing is changing the world of healthcare, docero is here to help. We are a full-service digital marketing agency that is exclusively focused on connecting healthcare providers with prospective patients in their communities. Let us fill your waiting room with patients.